Metro : Gareth Williams inquest sees 'body bag' as parents walk out

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Gareth Williams inquest sees 'body bag' as parents walk out

By METRO NEWS REPORTER | April 24, 2012

A video showing a sports bag bulging with the body of MI6 spy Gareth Williams has been shown at the inquest into his death as his parents walked out following further delays to evidence being disclosed.

The body of Mr Williams, 31, from Anglesey, north Wales, was found in a padlocked red North Face holdall in the bath of his flat in Pimlico, central London, in August 2010.

Today the inquest overseen by coroner Fiona Wilcox was shown a forensic scene recording of the flat, taken after the discovery of Mr Williams' naked decomposing body.

The video showed a cutting from the Observer newspaper headlined 'top five regrets of the dying'.

As the inquest was taken on a walking tour of his home on Alderney Street a woman's wig, red lipstick and other make-up were all shown.

There was no sign of a break-in at the flat, with cash left in a cupboard and a mobile phone on the living room table.

The flat was completely immaculate apart from a dressing gown and quilt discarded on the bedroom floor, Metropolitan Police Detective Chief Inspector Jackie Sebire said.

'I also found it difficult to explain because of his general tidiness,' DCI Sebire said.

'In my opinion it was not something that was easily explainable.'

DCI Sebire confirmed that a counterterrorism officer from SO15 - the only command at Scotland Yard in regular contact with MI6 - was admitted to the flat but insisted security services had not interfered in a 21-month investigation that has so far drawn a blank.

A host of expensive clothing and shoes were found in Mr Williams' bedroom, including £20,000 worth of women's clothing that did not appear to have been worn and nail varnish and eye shadow.

When asked by Ms Wilcox whether the clothes would have fitted Mr Williams, DCI Sebire replied 'possibly'.

CCTV images were also shown to the inquest with Mr Williams seen walking around west London in a relaxed manner in the days leading up to his death.

August 15 2010 is the final day his movements are known, when he is seen entering Alderney Street at around 3.05pm.

He was expected to return to work the following day but Ms Wilcox said 'it became apparent he was not around'.

Mr Williams' sister Ceri Subbe was left watching proceedings without her parents after they walked out over further delays to the submission of certain evidence.

DCI Sebire added that, 'to the best of my knowledge', no one had tampered with any evidence in the flat.